About Me

My photo
One of my favorite lines in Alice In Wonderland is "and WHO are You?" That is a great question to which I would have to answer -I am a mother, a wife, a sister and auntie, an accountant, runner, friend, cook, consumer, reader, photographer, and daughter. I live in the life of a farming family, I love to travel.... too many things to try to pick just one and I would never want to try, these are the things in life that make me tick. I am who I am, you get what you get, and I love my life. In other words... "It is what it is".

Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's been 15 years, yet seems like just yesterday

I have a best friend named Jane, she and I have been friends for over 40 years.  We were in each others weddings, have children the same age and have shared in each others lives since childhood.  15 years ago Jane's husband came home one day and said he would like their family to move to Mexico - near La Paz to start a fishing business.  Shortly after a late night visit, at least one bottle of wine, some tears, some laughter and lots of girl talk - they packed up and moved.  It took some time but we have all adjusted, I miss her being here on a daily basis, but with the internet and cell phones it isn't all that bad.  But, with their business and all our kids and just life, we haven't seen each other all that much in the past 15 years, until this weekend.
Jane's mama passed away in San Jose, California in March and over the weekend they had a memorial service for her and Jane and her family came to California.  It has been 15 years since we have seen one another, and with a huge hug, some tears and lots of laughter - it seems like just yesterday we saw one another.  I love that feeling when it just seems like you pick up were you left off talking, as if it were yesterday.   My mouth is sore from talking and laughing, we played catch up and decided that now that her youngest child will graduate from high school, we will have more time to plan to spend time together.  I think we both realized, maybe because we were saying goodbye to her mom, the importance of our friendship and how we should continue to work at spending time together.  Our families have been friends for so long, and this loss was yet another death that has been hard on my mother, she and Marge were also best friends.  Our families have a strong bond, of that their is no doubt and I look forward to working on not having our visits be so few and far between.
Marjorie Mead Thomas would have been proud to have us all together again, the weekend and our visit were not for the happiest of reasons - but we took the lemons and made lemonade and it will be a day we will always remember - as if it were yesterday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment