About Me

My photo
One of my favorite lines in Alice In Wonderland is "and WHO are You?" That is a great question to which I would have to answer -I am a mother, a wife, a sister and auntie, an accountant, runner, friend, cook, consumer, reader, photographer, and daughter. I live in the life of a farming family, I love to travel.... too many things to try to pick just one and I would never want to try, these are the things in life that make me tick. I am who I am, you get what you get, and I love my life. In other words... "It is what it is".

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

     Where are they all going, those people that are walking along side the road - mostly with shopping carts, and dogs.  They are everywhere lately and have made me feel uncomfortable and I wish I knew their stories.  Some of them talk all the time so I would assume that if I actually stopped to listen, I may learn about the stories of the world.  It is difficult to avoid eye contact, or not run them over, or not feel completely guilty because you didn't give them something - and if you did, would they just buy liquor?
     I feel for them, and I do wonder, but I suppose because life is a struggle for many, but we don't all stand on the street corner to announce it to the world - I have decided upon the gesture I can do that will help them, and put my mind at ease as well.  Putting my mind at ease meant a trip to Costco, a lot of ziploc bags, some water and snack crackers, some gum, a few wipes and hand sanitizer and a little bit of work putting the bags together to put in the back of my car to hand out, and it did my heart good.
     Now when I see someone that has a sign "anything will help" - I get a trusty survival bag from my car and hand it over to them.  A few have actually been shocked I suppose at the preparedness (my campfire girl training), many are thankful and I even get a smile, one was not very nice and I see him often so I think just to piss him off I will continue to give him a bag of useful items that he doesn't want, or so he says.
     I have made my peace with the people that walk along the streets - I don't know any of their names and I have no idea where they are going but there have been times that I have made a connection and we wave - I have made friends and they have stories, and now they just might tell people about the woman that hands out ziploc bags and I am part of that story.
     A simple trip to Costco has never made me so happy.
     Be kind. Always.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment